Blog Archive

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Not Totally "Imprezed"


Comin' at ya—2012 Impreza in sedan and 5-door body syles

I got a good deal last fall on a 2011 Subaru Impreza. No wonder, considering that due later this year the a fully redesigned 2012 model will hit showrooms. Bucking the new = bigger trend (at least in the power train department) displacement is down 0.5 liter to 2.0 while horsepower and torque fall to 148/145lbs. respectively. A CVT transmission replaces the aging four speed, and this dynamic duo promises gas mileage breaking the 30 MPG range.

Motor Trend got to try out an early model, describing themselves imprezed. As a loyal Subaru owner (I’m on number three), I’m not so sure. I don’t doubt the car is an engineering marvel, after all, it actually posts better performance in spite of its smaller power plant. But what about aesthetics? It looks to me like a freshening of the current model at best, with some definite styling cues from its bigger brother Legacy sedan thrown in for good measure. A couple cases in point? The flared fenders (previously a WRX denotation) and the rake on the headlamps. Headlamps that, might I add, no longer appear to have halogen projectors in them.

My car's "waterfall" dash. MIA on the 2012.
What happened to the interior? Where’s the signature black-on-chrome “waterfall” dash Subaru aficionados have come to know and love? The interior, while promising better-quality materials, appears cheapened, or at least plain.

Subaru’s been bucking the trends when it comes to auto sales, and I’m sure the 2012 Impreza will only add fuel to the fire. I don’t doubt that it’s a great car. But for those of us who love Subaru for their quirky, rally bred machines, the mainstreaming can be unpleasant to watch from the sidelines. Sometimes I want to go back 10 years ago when the bug-eyed Impreza WRX in electric blue made its debut, complete with Recaro racing seats and a Momo steering wheel. Not to mention a blown 2.0-liter mill pumping out north of 200 horsies from behind that hood scoop. Those were the days, and I’m glad to say I got to drive that car once: A cute blonde accompanied myself and a friend who had no business test driving a car like that. "I can't drive stick, you're up," he said. I ground the gears all the way down Southwestern Boulevard.

Check out pictures and what the manufacturer has to say about its upcoming new model at http://www.subaru.com/impreza/2012/index.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Hiking, writing, photography--these are things I love...Camelbloggin brings it all together and serves as a memento of every adventure I embark on.

Followers