Blog Archive

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Trumpeting Downtown Phoenix's Newest Craft Beer Joint

Angels Trumpet - 810 N. 2nd St.

There’s been some buzz lately about a new craft beer joint opening in East/Downtown Phoenix.  Second Street and E. Garfield to be exact.  Angels Trumpet Ale House has done a phenomenal job at building buzz and ushering in their stuff on the wings of social media

Now open just over a week, the place hasn’t received much love from the Phoenix New Times.  However, I’d like to share my own experience, and suffice to say, it was far better than whatever "Chow Bella" at the New Times experienced.

I’ll admit the place is a little hard to find.  I had some idea of what to look for based on pictures posted online, but I ended up at the corner of 2nd & Garfield looking around while some shady characters at a clinic on the corner stood around talking dirty...We’re not the numbered avenues…it’s not supposed to be ghetto here!  I finally spotted what I thought was Angels Trumpet just down the street…a sign would’ve been helpful.  I confirmed the address on my smart phone and then opened the solid-paneled front door. 

It was just after 5 when I showed up and there were plenty of tables available.  That wouldn’t be the case when I departed an hour later.  The hostess showed me to my seat, and my server Ricardo provided awesome service my entire time. 

The ambiance is clean and fresh with soft lime green and turquoise hues contrasting off blonde hardwood tables and floor.  There was no loud music, and I could actually have carried on conversation.  With noisy restaurants the norm, any place where you can converse is a major score in my book.  A lengthy bar flanks the back wall and a huge patio promises fantastic outdoor dining once it’s not 100-and-hell degrees out.

The best flight you'll ever take...
So about the best stuff:  the beer.  A chalkboard spans the length of the bar and has the day’s on-tap selections, complete with short descriptions.  On the table are more extensive beer “tasting notes”.  Over 30 craft brews were on tap the night I visited.  Ricardo—and now I as well—highly recommended trying a flight.  It’s $9, and you’re given a sheet with six circles to fill out.  Choose any six brews from the board and you’ll get a cupcake tin (totally rustic and cute!) with 3-oz pours of each.

The night I visited I sampled a number of local brews including a few from our own Four Peaks Brewery in Tempe along with craft beers from California, Colorado, and one from my old home state, New York.  Can’t complain about any of them.  At one point another server approached me and we had an interesting chat about my beer choices.

Veggieloaf Sammy & slaw
For food Angels Trumpet takes a gourmet spin on bar classics with sandwiches (Sammy’s), pizzas, salads, and a few entrees.  Prices are reasonable as most meals are $10 or under.  There’s also a board of “Seasonal Specials” by the front door.  

Vegetarian I am not…vegetarian food, on the other hand, can be absolutely delicious when done right…and that’s the challenge.  My Veggieloaf Sammy arrived open-faced on thick Texas Toast and was smothered in a tangy tomato sauce and more melted cheddar than I care to think about.  It had a meatly texture and smokey, earthy flavor with ground fresh vegetables throughout.  Fries, chips, or coleslaw are side choices.  I went for the ‘slaw which consisted of fresh, raw shredded cabbage and carrots in a tangy oil dressing with dried cranberries and feta crumbles.  The cranberries were just the right ingredient to cut the inherent bitterness of raw cabbage.  This was definitely not your average mayo-plus-sugar-with-a-little-cabbage ‘slaw.  A round, tin “pizza” pan served as a plate.  Along with the previously noted cupcake tin, it appears Angels Trumpet likes to use ovenware as dishes, which adds to the cool vibe, in my opinion.  (There are normal beer steins; no tin cups!)

I didn’t get dessert, but the homemade fresh fruit pop tarts for $4 were tempting.  Guess I’ll need to go back.  And ya know what?  If you’re into craft beer and decent food, you should try Angels Trumpet Ale House too.               

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Hiking, writing, photography--these are things I love...Camelbloggin brings it all together and serves as a memento of every adventure I embark on.

Followers